Thursday, January 16, 2014

Happiness Overrated?

My last post was a little dip into my thoughts on the meaning of life, since then I listened to a sermon on Happiness. Ironic. Anyway, it made me take this idea one step further. Happiness is shallow, so the meaning of life is not just to spread happiness, because happiness is short lived. If you want to spread goodness through the world you need to spread joy and answers to living a full life. Those of you who's life is full will understand this idea, but those of you who do not yet may have a hard time. I know because I have been on both sides. A full life brings you joy. Once you experience the joy-full life you crave it and do everything in your power to reach that state. Most of those who have not experienced the joy-full continue seeking happiness and wondering why they never feel complete.

It wasn't until I started a relationship with God at the end of 2011 that I experienced Joy-Full. (Yes, I know joyful is a word, but I have created my own altercation of he word/term/etc. to give it the more pronounced meaning that I want.) Those of you who read this and are turned off by my mention of God, I get it. I was there too, so I don't take offense. However, if you can not relate my term, Joy-Full, to your own life then you might want to stay tuned.

My life has changed drastically since I began seeking the Joy-Full life instead of chasing happiness.  We are talking two years, people. It was only two years ago that I changed my beliefs and thought process on things. Previously, I sought out short lived, fulfilling, happiness. Sure, I had a great time doing it, but I continued to search for some feeling that would stick around.  I felt empty. I even got married, finished college, had a good job and a great family, but it wasn't enough. Finally, I was unwillingly pulled into the doors of a church, that I now call home. It was different than what I was used to, there was loud rock music, coffee and people my age. The people also had a different glow about them, unlike any other church that I have been to. They were actually Joy-Full. Huh? I was a little perplexed as if I had stepped into another dimension.

Anyway, I continued to go and get more involved and really do some soul searching.  I also opened myself to God and the idea of a greater power, other than myself.  It was then that I began to see the Joy-Full for the first time. Things began to transform in my life, without much effort.  Two years later I look back at the changes I have seen in my relationships, home life, relationship with myself, finances and work. I didn't realize life could really be this good. I feel that I don't deserve all the wonderful things that have happened and it honestly keeps getting better in every aspect. Luck? I think not. Happiness? Would have never gotten me this far. A Joy-Full like only provided by God? Dead on.

Enjoy the journey! It is exceedingly more than the norm of seeking happiness could provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment